Thursday, April 9, 2009

Claremont Colleges Triathlon Club

In March I did the Claremont Colleges Triathlon Club sprint distance triathlon. The club hosts a few races a year. This was the first time my schedule allowed me to participate. The club consists mostly of undergraduate students from Harvey Mudd, Claremont McKenna, Scripps, Pomona, and Pitzer colleges. I was able to participate in the race because I work at Pomona College. The event is kind of cool because it is student run and held all on campus. On race day there were about 10 individuals and one relay team.

The swim started in the CMS pool with 500 yards, 20 laps. Next there was a 14 mile bike leg that consisted of 7 laps, yes that is correct 7 laps, around the campus. All those loops were quite fun, unfortunately there was a racer or two that took a spill. Finally, there was a 3 mile run where about half of it was uphill. My experience with this race was totally unexpected as I won the race overall coming in at an hour and twelve minutes about a minute and a half faster then the next finisher. It was kind of funny to show up, swim, bike, and run faster than those that were about half my age of 38. They gave me a medal and a really cool jacket as the winner. Many thanks and much gratitude to the club for hosting a fun morning of racing. I hope to race again with them will try to organize a few relay teams of faculty, staff, and some CGU graduate students. Here is a link to the clubs google group: http://groups.google.com/group/triathlon-club

No comments: