Thursday, June 18, 2009

Playa Del Run - Huntington Beach

Playa Del Run - Huntington Beach

On June 7th I went to Huntington Beach to do the Playa Del Run Race 1. I did the Aquathon that consisted of a 1k ocean swim followed by a 5k run. Each summer I try to do at least one race in that Playa Del Run series. It was the third time for me to be on this course, I did it in 2006 & 2007 and the Santa Monica one in 2008. In past years this race has been a national qualifier for Aquathon worlds. However, it was not this year althoght it was listed as such for earlier this year.

Race day was sunny and a nice temperature. The swim was a mass start, run down the beach and into the surf. Surf was only about 2-3 that day. It was quite difficult to get around the first buoy as the current swept us a bit. There were some very fast swimmers out there and there was a very large pack in the front. Things did not stretch out until about the 700m mark. Out of the water and across the beach, about a 100m run in the sand, to the transition area. This race was my first with the Zoot shoes. They are fantastic, as they went on quickly. I think that I messed around a little bit too much in the transition. Next, was the 5k. I have been working on running alot over the last 8 months and it showed with this run. I was able to keep a good strong pace and even put a kick on it in the last half mile. The run course was flat and fast. My overall results were 38:14 with a 4th place in my 35-39 age group. It was the best I have done in this race. Back in 2006 I think I came in last in my age group in a time of around 50 minutes.

No comments: