Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Naples Island 3 Mile Challenge Swim


This year I did the Naples Island 3 mile swim, third time for me. It is one of my favorite open water events. It is held in Long Beach, California. For this race you basically circumnavigate an island. Along with the distance there is a strategy that one needs to have with this swim as you have to choose the correct route. If you do not your swim can become painfully longer. I was off to a good start and tucked right into a pack for about the first mile. Then people started to split up and went in every direction. For the rest of the swim I battled it out with 2 other guys. I hit a patch of seaweed and had to stop for a moment then caught back up. On the last half mile I turned it on passed both those fellows I had been battling it out with, one guy caught me on the last 50m. Just seconds apart. I got 2nd in my age group at 1:01:31 and a PR for the course by 4 min. Last year I got 1st in my age group but this year Alex Kostich showed up.

No comments: