Monday, May 19, 2008

Playa del Run - Santa Monica - May 18, 2008

Last week there was a wild fire in the local mountains and the firefighters had taken over the venue for the L.A. Tri Series Race #2 as their command center. This led to the event being canceled. So, the race organizer bumped me to an October race. No problem, but I still wanted to race on Sunday.

So I quickly got online and registered for the Playa del Run in Santa Monica. The race was a 1000m ocean swim and a 5k run. Race day was fantastic, water was 63 and the air was about 75. There were about 200 athletes. The race started with a classic running start into the ocean. I was able to get in to the front pack at the first buoy. The rest of the swim was smooth and I was the 7th athlete out of the water. I had a good transition but man that run to the transition area must have been 200m long. My run went well (I am not the best runner but I am seeing lots of improvement this season.). The run was a two loop course with a mixture of grass and sidewalk. I was able to keep a good pace after about the first quarter mile. In the end I came in with a 43:21 and that got me 5th in my 35-39 age group. This was a very good race for me!

No comments: