Monday, June 30, 2008

Pacific Open Water Challenge

On Sunday I raced the one mile swim at the Pacific Open Water Challenge in Long Beach, California. This was my second year for doing this event. There are all kinds of events that go on all day and some include 1 mile swim, 1/2 mile swim, 5k run, aquathon, 5k swim, and some other beach events. The my race started early at 7am so that meant getting in the car at 5:30 am. Before the race, it looked like the course might be longer than a mile. Well, it was! It was more like a 1.5 mile swim. After finishing and chatting with the other athletes we came to the concussion that all our times were about ten minutes off. Regardless of the crazy course, I had an excellent swim. I had a good start and I kept in the top 3 for about half way. I was able to finish strong. I ended up coming in 8th overall and finished 1st in my 35-39 age group. Last year I came in 15th overall, so this was a big improvement. Here are a few photos. Ah, it was also cool that they had real pirates shooting their guns off at the start!




No comments: