Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Malibu Olympic Distance Triathlon

Malibu Olympic Distance Triathlon

This year it was another attempt to podium at Malibu and I finally did it on my third go around. In 2007 I was 11th in the 200-224 Clydesdale division, in 2008 I placed 9th, and this year I came in at 5th. Of all the races that I do this is one of my favorites. This years race was a good but not the best.

This year I stayed in Santa Monica on Friday night. Got some good sleep and drove in. I got to the race venue at about 6:00 and it felt like I was late. At this race it seems like people must arrive at 3 am, it's just crazy. My wave time was 7:30.

The swim is always my best leg. However, this year it was a nightmare. The currents were strong and I got lots in a strange fog bank. Off the beach I immediately got swept to the right of the first marker and had to swim back to it, that wasted some time. Around the first marker and there was no one around me, it was open water time. But, where was the second marker? Who knows, I could not spot it because of the swell and a fog bank that moved in. By the time I did spot it I must have been at least 100m out and away from it. Form that point I had to get back on course swimming at an angle. I came out of the water at the 23 min mark. Way off mark as I have been averaging under 20 min for 1500m in training and racing this year.

T1 was smooth. On the bike and feeling good. In the first 2 miles I saw two really bad crashes. One on a speed bump and the coming out of the tunnel under PCH. This was my first race with the HED3's. They are some cool wheels but I felt a bit uneasy going above 40 mph down hill. The bike course is up and down rollers. I timed most of them well. There was a small no pass zone near the turn around. At the turn around I grabbed a bottle and it had some really tasty watermelon flavor drink. The trip back to the transition went well and I finished the 40k in 1:05, which was my fastest time ever.

T2 went smoothly. I did not have to sit down to put my shoes on, rather, step in and go. Next, the run, my weakest point. From the transition area I could tell that I was the second off the bilke. At about the first mile I passed the 1st place cly, then some really tall guy blasted past me, the guy I passed over took me, then about mile 3 another cly passed me but I was able to have both them in my sights the whole way in. My run was not the fastest but I was able to hang on and make that 5th spot, at 2:30 a PB for me.

When I crossed the finish line I found out that I was one of 13 athletes that day who won a special prize package. I think it was some kind of random thing but I got set up with all kinds of gear, K-Swiss shoes, Accelerade, Xterra backpack, and all kinds of other gear. About an hour later I got to get the most awsome medal that I have ever won. It was huge and beautiful, and quite an experience to be on the podium for such a large race. However, this year might be my last time to race the Clydesdale 200-224 division at Malibu because I am dropping weight, I am right at 200 and heading lower. It is quite a bit of difference from when I was 317 lbs.

Next race is the Nevada Silverman Half distance. Perhaps the last Clydesdale race unless I train to put on some muscle.

No comments: