Thursday, April 15, 2010

Superfrog Triathlon Half Iron Distance

April 11th, 2010 I raced the Superfrog Half Iron Distance triathlon. I have wanted to do this race for quite some time as the course looked excellent. Here is how my race went. Swim was a mass start. I was in wave number one. It was a two loop ocean swim, so that involved getting out of the water and running up the beach and doing a second lap. I came out of the water at 28:49. I think I was about 3th with only two pros ahead of me. The 56 mile bike was four loops on the silver strand. The first two laps were fast then some wind started to kick up on lap 3 and number 4 it was really bad. I got off the bike with a time of 2:35. Next the run. This was the hardest half marathon that I have ever done. This was worse than the Silverman or anything imaginable. Why, because at least 10 of the 13 miles were on the sand. On soft sand and on the sand where the water meets the beach. The course was two loops. My my time for the run was 2:22, wow about 20 slower than it should have been. I guess I am not a sand runner. However, I was able to PR with a time of 5:40 and get 3rd place in the Clydesdale division. Overall a fantastic race and one to do again.




However, I have one gripe and that is with the host hotel Lowes Coronado Resort and that is they absolutely suck. My room was not ready until 6:00 pm on Friday and they had a 10:00 am check out time on Saturday. However, they did offer a late check out at 2:00 pm for an extra $80!!! No thanks. I will never ever stay at a Lowes Hotel anywhere they are totally unaccommodating and were not friendly to the racers. Stay elsewhere.

No comments: