Monday, October 4, 2010

Slam the Dam Open Water Swim (8k + 1.2 mile)

Went to Las Vegas to do an open water swim in Lake Mead. This event had a few different swims to enter that included 1.2 mile, 2.4 mile, 8k, the Super Slam (2.4 + 1.2 races), or the Grand Slam (8k + 1.2 races).

I went for the Grand Slam which was a 8k point to point swim then the 1.2 swim. I was able to take 3rd place over all with a combined race time if 2:47. I have done many 5k swims but never an 8k. Looking at all the times I think the course might have been a bit long considering the swimmers that showed up. I know that I went a bit long on the 8k as the navigation was difficult in this very large lake and would not have been possible without the help of Susie my wife and Sadie my daughter. They piloted my support kayak. I took one bottle of Spiz and a GU Roketane during the race. I had about 45 minutes recovery between races. When it was time to do the 1.2 mile swim I just went all out and was able to hold it till about the last 300 and slowed a bit. I really want to do this race again as I know that I can improve. Also, I know that I am capable of going even grater distances. For 3rd place I got some cool Elvis glasses. Check out some photos...




No comments: